Monday, March 20, 2017

My Weekly Challenge: Going to the Theater Alone

A part of the reason why there is such a stigma on doing things alone is because we as humans are social beings. The concept of doing activities alone doesn't feel normal to us. How many times have you seen someone eat alone and you automatically felt sorry for that person? I've been guilty of it for sure. I've eaten alone, but that was less of a choice and more out of necessity to sustain myself during a work shift. I think it's important to be able to do things alone. It's empowering and helps boosts confidence! Aside from that, sometimes you just don't want to be social. I challenged myself to go see Beauty and the Beast solo over the weekend. I had reservations about it, of course, because I've been so used to always going with others. Aside from the fact that people still don't understand the concept of reserved seating at the theater I frequent, it turned out to be quite enjoyable! Beauty and the Beast is a part of my childhood, so seeing a live-action version of it was something I was very much looking forward to ever since I heard they were making it. Most of my sisters already had plans to go see it with other people, so I took that opportunity to try something new! You're not supposed to be talking during a movie anyway, so flying solo wasn't so bad; plus, it helps that there's still people surrounding you. We all laughed and felt sad at the same time so it's still social in a way. Added perk: you don't have to share any of your popcorn or drink with anyone! I think I will be watching more movies alone from now on.

The visuals were vibrant and breath-takingly beautiful. I thought, at times, the beast looked a bit too fake, but that is one of my few gripes in regards to the film. I can't believe there was an uproar about the film 'veering' off course and adding a gay character where there wasn't one. No, really, did they even watch the film? I feel like it might have been faked to garner more attention for the film because the character did nothing to detract from the plot and didn't even act upon his feelings. There were some subtleties in there, but nothing major. I thought Emma did a great job, except for the ending, where it was kind of anti-climatic. Her reactions to the beast getting shot could have been better. Overall, I was very happy with the film, thoroughly enjoyed their additions to the animated film, and loved the new music in there. I want to go watch it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment