Saturday, March 4, 2017

My Weekly Challenge: A Hiking We Will Go

I know bread-making ended up spilling into this week, but I went ahead and did something anyway for this week! My physical therapy is still being figured out (I think) so since being released January 10th, I haven't had any sort of real therapy other then what I've been doing on my own. I know it's not enough because my legs (especially my knees) are still pretty weak. I try to commit to working out for at least 30 minutes a day as well as going on a 10-20 minute walk around the neighborhood. I also stretch every day, but don't quite have the tools to really work on my legs. I have resorted to doing some squats by hanging onto the door frame on either side for support. It was something my chiropractor suggested, which I thought was genius because I can't do free squats yet.

I planned a hike at Peters Canyon with friends on Saturday, March 4th knowing it was going to be great weather! It was a beautiful day, perfect for hiking. We started around 8:30 am and finished around 10:30 am. This hike is considered medium difficulty. There is one point that has a pretty steep incline, but you can opt to go around if the task seems too daunting for first-timers. I have been on this trail a couple of times and never had any trouble with it. However, due to my condition, this experience was pretty challenging. I am so proud of myself for not giving up even though it got pretty tiring at times. I had to take a few breaks every now and again, especially after inclines. Everyone in the group were such great sports about it, extremely encouraging, and supportive! I enjoyed it even though I was hurting. I think the only reason why it's so hard on the feet is due to the corticosteroids I'm taking (Prednisone). It causes my feet to feel so uncomfortable when I am on them. The pressure all goes to my heels causing extreme discomfort and my swollen feet and ankles don't help. Hopefully we get me to a tapering dose where I don't experience these nasty side effects but still receive the benefits of taking Prednisone. Here are some pictures from today!
 The beginning of the hike with great company!
 Beautiful scenery due to all the rain we've been getting in California! The last time I was on this hike, the landscape was pretty barren and dead.
 I powered through some hills and this was the steepest one. This photo doesn't do it justice!
Beautiful day for a hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment